Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pamela The Conquerer


My first trip to the downtown was not so great. I took the bus with a few other women and had Charlotte strapped onto me in a baby carrier. As usual it was hot, so after a few minutes of walking around in my polyester abaya, we were both drenched in sweat. In a couple of hours, I thought my back was going to break from carrying my chubby baby around. I vowed never to go again, but I just couldn't help myself.

A few weeks ago, we decided to join another family and visit the downtown. I figured since we were going at night it wouldn't be so bad. Well, our little excursion was unforgettable. We went to the brass guy to look for some carpets, but the sales person only spoke Arabic, so we tried to locate another shop. Easier said than done. There are no convenient directories on the street corners or a Yelp-Saudi Arabia version. There are rarely street names for that matter. We wandered around a little bit, but couldn't find what we were looking for. Plus side-- we found the open vegetable market, downside--so did the flies. After an hour, we went to a Turkish food place to find out they do not have a family section; therefore, women were not allowed. We returned back to our car empty handed, dripping in sweat in search of finding the nearest MacDonalds. I felt defeated again.

Turns out third times a charm. I went with the ladies on the bus, and I bought a new abaya by haggling (which is a valuable skill in these parts). I also picked up some art, toys, and birthday decorations for cheap, cheap, cheap! The key difference seemed to be limited exposure to the oppressive heat. I also felt immensely proud of myself for being able to carry 20lbs of baby for 3 hours. I don’t know when will be the next time I head out there without my hubs, but I am reveling in my new found downtown independence nonetheless.

1 comment: